Paragon Darby Dipper Crucible Kiln
Darby Dipper Crucible
The Darby Dipper Crucible Kiln
The Darby Dipper glass blower’s kiln will
give you the freedom to enjoy crucible firing in a small space. Mix your
own custom glass colors. Make paperweights, blown vessels, stringers,
and much more. Imagine pulling your own neon tubing in this affordable
Crucible Cover, Extra Insulation, Recessed Grooves, K-25 Firebricks
The firebrick top is held in place with two
spring latches. (For easy replacement, the top does not have a hinge.)
Access the crucible through a 6” hole in the firebrick top. A firebrick
crucible cover is placed over the 6” hole. The cover has a wooden
handle, stainless steel band, and a 1/2” lip that fits into the crucible
The Darby Dipper’s walls, top, and bottom
are made of 3” high temperature K-25 firebricks. These bricks are 20%
thicker than standard 2 1/2” firebricks and designed for prolonged high
temperature holds. For extra insulation, the walls are wrapped with a
ceramic fiber blanket, which is behind the stainless steel case. With
the extra insulation and heavy-duty elements, the Darby Dipper is
reliable even during very long heat soaks. For easy maintenance, tighten
the stainless steel top band and kiln case with the case adjustment
The heating elements are seated and
protected in dropped, recessed sidewall grooves. The built-in stand
comes with mar-proof plastic feet and provides the firebrick bottom with
a full layer of sheet metal support.
The Darby Dipper comes with a mechanical
relay, which sends power from the controller to the elements. You can
order the optional deluxe mercury relay; it lasts much longer than the
mechanical relay. We recommend the mercury relay for crucible kilns that
will see heavy use. Scroll down past the kiln specifications for more
The deluxe S-Type platinum thermocouple with
ceramic protection tube is standard on the Darby Dipper kiln. This
deluxe thermocouple, usually found on large, expensive kilns, far
outlasts the standard K-Type.
A Convenient Digital Controller
The Darby Dipper includes the Sentry Xpress
digital controller. Because of the extended holds at high temperatures,
the controller is in a separate wall-mounted panel. This keeps the
controller away from the heat for longer life. The control panel is
attached to the kiln with 6’ cables. The Sentry Xpress is user friendly
and comes with a detailed instruction manual. For easy reference, place
the Quick Start Guide near the kiln.
Program the digital controller for the exact
consistency of glass melt that you need. Enjoy predictable, repeatable
results. A pilot light glows when the elements turn on. The kiln comes
with a one-year warranty. (Please note: Due to the long firing cycles of
a crucible kiln, the warranty does not cover the heating elements.)
Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller Features
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a
specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the
“Additional Information” section below to review these features in more
- Handy Quick Start Guide
Wires are fastened to the elements with
heat-dissipating connectors refined and proven over many years in
Paragon kilns. Elements are coiled from the finest high-temperature wire
available. The Darby Dipper control box is finished in a durable high
temperature, water-base blue paint, which releases low emissions in the
factory during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for
our employees and cuts down on pollution.
And, of course, the glass blower’s Darby
Dipper furnace is made in America by skilled workers. Many of them have
been with Paragon for over a decade. Paragon is proud to be an
Darby Dipper Features
- Deluxe S-Type platinum thermocouple
- Sentry Xpress digital controller
- 6” crucible hole with firebrick cover
- 3” thick firebricks in the top, walls, and bottom
- Ceramic fiber insulation behind the firebrick walls
- Stainless steel case tighteners for easy maintenance
- Dropped, recessed element grooves
- Built-in base; no extra stand needed
Circuit Copper Wire Size
TUV tested to CSA and UL Standard 499
Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital 3-Key
Disclaimer: The specifications above assume that the kiln
will be plugged into a dedicated circuit. Local electric codes supersede
The pricing and electrical specifications for the above products
reflect their design for use in the United States. The International
versions of most models will have variations in electrical
specifications and price due to consumer safety requirements or
Kiln Type Top Loading Square
Chamber Volume 0.29 CU.FT. Chamber Length 7.50 IN
Chamber Width 7.50 IN
Chamber Depth 9.00 IN
The Outer Size of the Kiln and the Shipping Size: Width = Left to Right; Depth = Front to Back; Height = Top to Bottom
Outer Size 15.00W x 18.75D x 22.50H Inches
Ship Size 27.00W x 27.00D x 23.00H Inches
Ship Weight 95.00 Lbs
Ship Method & Notations This Kiln Ships Via UPS
Part Number S-1333-4 * Base Model